About Me

My photo
Welcome my name is Sherri. I am a follower of Jesus. I have been blessed to be the wife to my best friend Markiel. I am a mother to my tween son Amari and my preschool daughter Sanai. By God's grace I have found true joy in serving my family in our home. Even amongst all the everyday craziness I know this where God has called me to be. I learn something new everyday. I also recently became a part time bible teacher at my daughter's preschool. So I have the best of both worlds.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

MLK Day:Teaching Kids To Serve

Hi, thanks for stopping by.  I know you must be new here, because I am new. Please check out My Story to get to know me better or subscribe here. Welcome!


Every year on Martin Luther King Day the kids and I are part of a device day in our town.  We have done this for three years now.  I think it is a great way to teach the kids the message of Dr. King, as well as allowing them to serve God by serving others. 

It is so important to teach our kids at a young age the value of having a servants heart. Being willing to give to others, and help others  like Jesus did. 

The younger we teach our children this principle the easier it is for them to learn. 

This is a principle that God teaches us in His word. 

Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth. 
1 John 3:18

Many times in our culture charity work and acts of service are emphasized and boasted on. These type of gestures are a good thing, but we must remember to look at our hearts, and examine our motives behind the act.  We want to make sure we are serving for the right reasons.  

Serving can make us feel good about ourselves.  Also it can make us feel proud that we have helped others.  

We need to remember the main reason to serve is to glorify God and it is what He has called us to do. 

This is the key to serving that we want to implant in our children's hearts. 

The best way to do this is to lead by example.  Let our children see this truth lived out in our lives.  Not only on special service days  like Martin Luther King Day, but everyday.  That's what will make it real to them.

As our children grow they will want to honor the Lord with their service, just as they have learned. 

Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it.  Proverbs 22:6

What are some ways you teach your children about serving?

What example are you setting for your children when it comes to serving?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...