About Me

My photo
Welcome my name is Sherri. I am a follower of Jesus. I have been blessed to be the wife to my best friend Markiel. I am a mother to my tween son Amari and my preschool daughter Sanai. By God's grace I have found true joy in serving my family in our home. Even amongst all the everyday craziness I know this where God has called me to be. I learn something new everyday. I also recently became a part time bible teacher at my daughter's preschool. So I have the best of both worlds.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Hello God is that you?

I've recently started a new bible study that teaches about discerning the voice of God.  Being able to recognize when God speaks is so important if we want to know God's Will for our lives.  Just as we desire to have a strong relationship with our husbands and children, having a strong relationship with God allows us to recognize His voice. That's the part that sometimes gets tricky.  I know many times I'm asking myself the questions "Is that God or me?" or even "Is that God or Satan?"

My sheep hear my voice, I know them, and they follow me. 
John 10:27

In life we are the sheep and Jesus is definitely our Good Shepherd. According to His Word the way we hear His voice and know how to follow Him is by knowing Him, just as He knows us.

When my Hubby comes home from work one of the first thing I always ask Him is "Hi Honey how was your day?" Of course this question always comes with a big smooch. Now depending on the type of day he had I can get a variety of answers. No matter what his answer may be I continue to ask him day after day in anticipation of his answer.  My point is asking him this question everyday is my way of communicating with him.  Getting to know his day is getting to know him. God wants us to do the same when it comes to our relationship with Him. Just like any relationship in our life that is important to us we take the steps to keeping it strong and making it a priority. Take the time to talk with God. Pray to Him, as well as listen to Him. That is how we become familiar with Him, and that allows us to recognize His voice.

God speaks to us in various ways sometimes in prayer, sometimes through others, and many times through His Word.  We need to spend time reading and meditating on His word. This is also another way to get to know Him better. Many times we may be praying to God asking Him to speak to us. We may feel God is not answering our prayers, but if we don't make the time each day to pray and read His Word we may be missing Him. We are not allowing Him the opportunity to answer us.

So after learning all of this you would think that I would have no problems in this area "right?" "Wrong!" Just yesterday in a small way God had to remind me of this very lesson, and as a matter of fact it seems that He is reminding me of this very lesson on a regular bases. I realize I have a bad habit of hearing that small voice of God but ignoring it.  I always somehow seem to talk myself out of obeying exactly what I hear.  I will tell myself all these different excuses until in my mind I have justified why I shouldn't follow the instructions I just heard. This happens to me many times in such small everyday ways. Thank God I serve a merciful God because He always reminds me afterwards that no matter how big or small the situation, the most important thing is to completely obey when I hear His voice.

God I pray as busy wives and mothers that we make you a priority and take the time to get to know your voice.  Help us to then obey what we hear, so we can completely follow your Will for our lives.  In Jesus Name Amen!





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...