About Me

My photo
Welcome my name is Sherri. I am a follower of Jesus. I have been blessed to be the wife to my best friend Markiel. I am a mother to my tween son Amari and my preschool daughter Sanai. By God's grace I have found true joy in serving my family in our home. Even amongst all the everyday craziness I know this where God has called me to be. I learn something new everyday. I also recently became a part time bible teacher at my daughter's preschool. So I have the best of both worlds.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A Hard Lesson:"Not my will God, but Yours."


Hi, thanks for stopping by.  I know you must be new here, because I am new. Please check out 
My Story to get to know me better or subscribe here. Welcome!



Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.  
Proverbs 3:5-6

This was my devotional scripture verses for today.  I have learned in the past that each morning, I need to take the time to spend with God.  This quiet time consists of reading a daily devotional, reading the scriptures, praying, and listening to what God has to tell me for the day.

Normally I try to make sure this is done first thing in the morning.  I have found that my day goes better, and I am more open to God, when I put Him first in my day.  Now there are times when my busy morning routine gets the best of me.  I don't end up sitting down with my bible and devotional, until after the kids are off at school.  

This morning happened to be one of those mornings.  I also made the mistake of checking my emails beforehand as well.  This turned out to be a mistake because I noticed an email that I didn't like.  Immediately I felt my frustration level begin to rise.  I began to get angry over what I saw in the email.  I knew that I needed to calm down, so in my mind that is exactly what I told myself.  I even told myself, "I need to put it in God's hands and trust Him to handle it." After those initial feelings I prayed that I would do exactly that. 

Now everything seemed so simple right?  I had my personal attitude check and even sealed it with a prayer.  I should feel good now, trusting that God is in control of it all.  That is the ultimate goal that I pray for on a daily bases, but of corse it's never that simple, when it comes to emotions.  I continued to feel frustrated about the situation, as I looked for ways to solve it.  

My husband was working from home today, so I began to think, "I need to talk to him about this." 
In the back of my mind God was telling me not to share it, and just to trust Him.  Somehow I convinced myself that I was going to let my hubby read the email, just to make sure I didn't misunderstand anything.  Obviously this was a completely a lie from the enemy, which I fell for.  It caused me to disobey what I heard God telling me, and it happened just that simple.  At the time I didn't even recognize that this was happening, but that's how sneaky the enemy works.

I got on the phone made a call, and eventually the situation was resolved, just that simple.  That is how our God works.  God took care of the situation just as He had promised, regardless of my disobedience.

After that I sat down with my bible and devotional, what is the first thing I read?

My scripture verses Proverbs 3:5-6.  The devotional reading then goes on to talk about how most people want what they want, and their emotions flare up if they don't get it.  Talk about being humbled. 

Often as Christians we have this feeling of entitlement.  We expect life to be perfect and everything to go smoothly for us.  We expect all the goodness of God, and when things don't go that way, we begin to complain and pout.

God wants to give us the desires of our hearts, but sometimes we have to be patient and endure not getting our way.  These disappointments teach us a lesson about our character, and tests our level of spiritual maturity.  

So take my advice and learn from my lesson.  This was a big lesson God was trying to teach me.   I had to learn the hard way.  Unfortunately this is the way I learn most of my lessons.  Regardless I am thankful that God loves me enough to discipline me. He never leaves me in my disobedience.  That's just not who He is.

Commit yourself fully to God.  That means even when situations arise, it won't make you angry.  Remember "Not my will God, but Yours." 

I had to ask God for forgiveness for my disobedience, and pray that I could change from this lesson learned.  Pray with me that we can learn to completely submit to God's will, even if it's not what we want.  When we do, God will always give us exactly what is best.

How do you learn most of your lessons from God?

Are you often like me learning things the hard way?


2 comments:

  1. So good! God has been teaching me about trusting Him too! And how often it is the active pursuit of Him with the knowledge that all other things will fall into place just as they did with that email! Hopping over from Titus 2sday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angi I totally agree. When we focus on actively pushing Him, then we are saying, " God I allow your will to unfold in my life. I completely trust you." He already knows what's best for us anyway. Thanks for your comment and God bless you & your marriage.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...