About Me

My photo
Welcome my name is Sherri. I am a follower of Jesus. I have been blessed to be the wife to my best friend Markiel. I am a mother to my tween son Amari and my preschool daughter Sanai. By God's grace I have found true joy in serving my family in our home. Even amongst all the everyday craziness I know this where God has called me to be. I learn something new everyday. I also recently became a part time bible teacher at my daughter's preschool. So I have the best of both worlds.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

My Lesson in Appreciation


Hi, thanks for stopping by.  I know you must be new here, because I am new. Please check out 
My Story to get to know me better or subscribe here. Welcome!



Last week I posted a blog about having an "Appreciative Heart." Yesterday I was inspired by an article I read about appreciating our husbands.  The article talked about how although we appreciate our husbands our behavior does not always reflect it.  Recently I noticed that God really has this ongoing theme that He has tried to work on me about. I know that means I need to put more attention in this area.  Again today God spoke to my heart about appreciating my kids, especially my son Amari.   The funny thing is, sometimes it takes another mother to mention it, before you can think and appreciate it yourself.

Today in church my son Amari was being very responsible by helping me with his sister and my niece.  I was so busy with my own business, that I gave him a simple "Thank you," and then went back to my conversation with a friend.  Then my friend happened to make the comment "He is so good, and a very responsible young man."  When she said this it immediately  made me think and I responded to her saying, "Yes he is."

Amari is eleven years old, so he is at that age where he is figuring out who he is.  In his words he is a "Tween."  He definitely loves the Lord and he lives his life serving God.  I couldn't ask for anything better.  Often Amari and I have discussions. I try to get him to understand his actions, and encourage him to be more mature.  Especially when it comes to setting the example as an older brother.  I think often I get so caught up on those times, that I fail to recognize the mature young man, that God has blessed me with.  Amari is really growing into a young man after God's heart.  I am so thankful for his heart.  I am also thankful that God loves me enough to convict my heart.  He reminds me when I need to appreciate my children more.  

I made sure when we got home from church, that I shared with Amari "How mature I thought he was," and "How big of a help he is to me."  I could see that sharing this information with him made him feel good.  Honestly it made me feel good as well, because I was able to share with my son just how much I appreciate him. 

I know many days we are very busy moms.  We're trying to do our best as mothers, but we must remember to show our children some love.  

Once a day make a commitment to share with our kids one thing that we appreciate about them. This is a goal that is easily obtainable.  It will definitely be an investment into the lives of our children. 

What are some ways that you show your kids you appreciate them?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...