About Me

My photo
Welcome my name is Sherri. I am a follower of Jesus. I have been blessed to be the wife to my best friend Markiel. I am a mother to my tween son Amari and my preschool daughter Sanai. By God's grace I have found true joy in serving my family in our home. Even amongst all the everyday craziness I know this where God has called me to be. I learn something new everyday. I also recently became a part time bible teacher at my daughter's preschool. So I have the best of both worlds.

Monday, December 23, 2013

Family Traditions

Hi, thanks for stopping by.  I know you must be new here, because I am new. Please check out My Story to get to know me better or 
subscribe here.Welcome!



Traditions-The transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation, or the fact of being passed on in 
this way.

Let me tell you I just love Christmas.  This is my favorite time of the year.  I always look forward to being with my family and celebrating the birth of Christ. "Happy Birthday Jesus!" I like sharing gifts, and seeing the looks on my children's faces as they open their gifts. All the food, beautiful decorations, and the wonderful smells of the season. How could you not love it? 

I have always loved Christmas ever since I was a little girl, of course at that time it was all about the gifts, and how many I could get. 

Now that I am a mother and have two kids of my own, things are just a little bit different.  Being a parent and having to buy all those wonderful gifts, can quickly change your perspective on all of that.  

Also now that I am a believer, God has revealed to me the true meaning of Christmas.  I have learned that the birth of Jesus and His death on the cross is the one and only true gift that we need.  It's the gift that we didn't always know we needed but come to realize that it's the only gift we need.  We just have to choose to accept it. That is what I strive to teach my children as well. 

When I think back to when I was a kid, there are many things that my family did each year in preparation for celebrating Christmas.  These things were our traditions as a family.  Each family has a set of traditions that are meaningful to them as a family.  These traditions are always looked forward to each Christmas.  

I remember each year the day after Thanksgiving, not a day sooner or a day later, my mom would put up our Christmas tree. It would be an easy process since we always had an artificial tree. We would then decorate the tree, while drinking eggnog.  Now that I think of it this must be how my obsession with eggnog began. 

Now that I have my kids and my own family, I tend to want to continue the same traditions because it's just what I am used to.  Sometimes things happen exactly how I plan it, and other times we do things in a different way.  I have come to quickly learn in my four years of marriage, that my husband has his own set of traditions that he has brought to our family as well, and his traditions are not all the same as my traditions.  

This is all part of marriage and having a family.  Two become one, and that includes all of your childhood traditions too.  

This is where you need to come together and decide what traditions from each side are important to your family, and which traditions you want to continue with your family.  

Remember sometimes traditions that were important to your family as you were growing up, may not be as important to your family, now that you are a parent with your own kids.  Those decisions have to be discussed with your hubby and decide on, when it comes to carrying on the traditions from both sides of your families. 

You can also decide to start brand new traditions that become memories that only your family can cherish.  Everyone comes from different backgrounds and this option is also very important when you or your hubby may not have traditions to pass on to your new family. 

God allows you to begin traditions of your own.  Often that makes the traditions even more special because they are part of who your family is.  

The most important thing to remember is to be prayerful, even when it comes to your family Christmas traditions.  This will help with the whole process of deciding which traditions to pass on, and which traditions to begin within your family. Also we want to make sure our traditions are not just our personal desires for our families, but they are led by God.  

Traditions can be fun and meaningful to us and our families, but we must remember to be mindful to glorify God in all that we do. 



So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.  
1 Corinthians 10:31

So I pray that you and your family shares love, praises God, and celebrates hard this Christmas. From my family to yours                   I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

What are some of your family traditions on Christmas?

What does Christmas traditions mean to you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...