About Me

My photo
Welcome my name is Sherri. I am a follower of Jesus. I have been blessed to be the wife to my best friend Markiel. I am a mother to my tween son Amari and my preschool daughter Sanai. By God's grace I have found true joy in serving my family in our home. Even amongst all the everyday craziness I know this where God has called me to be. I learn something new everyday. I also recently became a part time bible teacher at my daughter's preschool. So I have the best of both worlds.

Monday, December 2, 2013

Hunger for Jesus

Hi, thanks for stopping by.  I know you must be new here, because I am new. Please check out 
My Story to get to know me better or subscribe here. Welcome!


For Thanksgiving my family had dinner at my in-laws house.  All of my husband's side of the family came over.  There was good conversations, and lots of kids running around, so we all had lots of fun.  Not to mention there was plenty of delicious food for us to fill up on, so you know we went home completely stuffed.

I always like to have all that good Thanksgiving food at my own home as well.  I decided to cook my  Thanksgiving dinner at home for Sunday evening.  I made sure the turkey and the stuffing was all prepped and ready to go on Saturday night.  All I had to do the next morning was stuff the turkey and put it in the oven. 

In the morning I put the stuffed turkey in the oven, and the kids and I  were off to church.  My husband was at home, so I left him with specific instructions, on how to take care of the turkey.

While at church my mind began wandering and I began thinking, "I hope my hubby remembers to check the turkey, and it does not burn to a crisp."  I also started thinking about "How good the turkey was going to taste, and I couldn't wait until dinner." 

The awesome thing was, God brought me to church in order to remind me of my spiritual hunger.  The pastor preached about a story in the bible that I had been familiar with, but never realized the importance of how it could apply to my life.

The story is about a Gentile woman that approached Jesus begging Him to cast the demon out of her daughter.  This story tells of this woman's great faith.  She did not give up her pursuit  of Jesus no matter what the obstacles.  This woman hungered for Jesus, and wouldn't stop, until Jesus gave her whatever He could give.  

Eventually Jesus did grant this woman her hearts desire, because of her unending faith, her daughter was healed.  Read this story in Mark 7:24-30

This story really encouraged my heart.  I began to think of my spiritual hunger for Jesus.  I wanted to be like this woman.  Having a strong unending desire of Jesus.  

Sometimes we may feel satisfied with where we are spiritually in our relationships with Jesus Christ.  God wants us to want more of Him.  There is no limit to His love.  God's word says to ask and we will receive.  All we need to do is pray that God gives us an overwhelming desire to draw closer to Jesus.  Once God gives us a hunger for more of Him, we must do our parts to  maintain this hunger.  

How to Maintain your Spiritual Hunger

1. Learn how to self feed-We can't only wait until Sunday to be filled up with His word.  On a daily bases study the bible, pray to God, meditate on His word, find people to pray with. 

2.  Cultivate a vibrant prayer life-Go deeper with our prayers.  It's okay to pray about our needs and wants to God, but we also need to pray that God would reveal himself.  Go into the presence of the Lord.  When praying block everything out, it's just you and the Lord.

3. Be watchful of the things that steal your appetite-We must be alert of the things that go on in this world.  It could come to you in a way that is so innocent and subtle, but beware because the enemy is always looking for an opportunity to strike. 



About my Thanksgiving dinner, my hubby did a great job watching over the turkey.  By the time I got home, the turkey was ready to be eaten, and looked beautifully browned.  My family sat down and  enjoyed our dinner.  I felt very blessed.

"O taste and see that the Lord is good." Psalm 34:8

Do you hunger for the Lord?

How are ways you maintain your spiritual hunger?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...