About Me

My photo
Welcome my name is Sherri. I am a follower of Jesus. I have been blessed to be the wife to my best friend Markiel. I am a mother to my tween son Amari and my preschool daughter Sanai. By God's grace I have found true joy in serving my family in our home. Even amongst all the everyday craziness I know this where God has called me to be. I learn something new everyday. I also recently became a part time bible teacher at my daughter's preschool. So I have the best of both worlds.

Monday, January 13, 2014

Honey & Jackie:Happiest Couple I Know

Hi, thanks for stopping by.  I know you must be new here, because I am new. Please check out My Story to get to know me better or subscribe here. Welcome!


The question is: Who is the happiest couple I know(besides me & hubby of course)? 

The answer is: Without a doubt, hands-down, the first couple that immediately comes to mind, are my grandparents(from my mother's side). 

They will forever be that picture of true love, and of a happy marriage in my mind.  I am so thankful for their example to me, of what a happy marriage looked like.   Honestly for a long time they were the only example that I had to look to, so their marriage was very important to me. 

They both passed away more than ten years ago.  My grandfather passed first at the age of eighty-eight.  My grandmother soon after passed, from what everyone was sure, was a broken heart.  She just wasn't the same without him.  The great part was their marriage left a lifelong legacy for our entire family.  

When they were together they were inseparable.  You would rarely see one without the other.  Everyone knew of Honey & Jackie.  My grandfather's real name is Horace, but my grandmother called him "Honey."  So did many others, including my grandmother's sisters.  

Ever since I could remember, they would continually tell the same story of their first date.  My grandfather would make sure he emphasized the part where my grandmother almost stood him up, while she went to the movies to see the infamous Clark Gable, with her sister.  The way they told the story with so much love and joy, it never got old. 

They really had a unique relationship.  They just knew how to do the little things that made each other happy.  

One of the cutest things they would love to do was dress alike.  I think it was just their special way of showing others that they were together, and they wanted everyone to know.  

I'm sure just like any other couple they had their share of challenging days, but they made a conscious  choice to love.  They also made the choice to share their love with others, and that's what their relationship is remembered by.  

Dear Lord I pray that my marriage as well as others can experience all the love that I saw my grandparents share.  











Fawn Weaver, the founder of the Happy Wives Club wrote a book about the best marriage secrets the world has to offer. They say the book is like “Eat, Pray, Love meets The 5 Love Languages.” I say the book is inspiring. You can grab a copy here.



Now it's your turn to answer the question.  Who is the happiest couple you know? 

Do you feel that the happiest couple is you & your husband and why? 

7 comments:

  1. This is sad, but I don't know of any happy, Godly marriages that are a true example for me right now. Part of the issue when I became a wife and mom was definitely that I had no example of what a godly wife and mom looked like. This is truly great what your grandparents had. Not having examples hasn't stopped me and hubby for looking to scripture to follow the examples that we have there. We also are determined to follow God's plan so that our children will learn God's precepts and how to function the way he intended by our teachings and living the example out daily. Thanks so much for sharing their story with us. I can tell this is very close to your heart. A very introductory post for me to get to know you better! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brittnei Thanks so much for visiting and commenting on my post. I completely understand what you mean about not having any Godly marriages as an example. My grandparents were definitely a big inspiration for me when it came to true love & commitment to marriage. That is something that I learned from them, but honestly I'm not sure of their relationship to the Lord(of course only God truly knows). Growing up I had no clue what a Godly marriage was. I recently just learned in the four years that I have been married. I am still continually learning and it's never too late for any couple. Even if you make mistakes and then have to as a couple commit your lives and marriage to serving the Lord. It's definitely a learning process that is possible with lots of work and prayer. It's especially important when you have kids, so they can have that example that we never had growing up. Having a happy, healthy marriage, that is completely surrendered to God; is so worth it. I'm glad we got to connect. It's funny I was just about to linkup this post to your link up when I saw your comment. God Bless you & your family and I hope we stay in touch. ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sherri! Just stopping back over to thank you for sharing this with us at Countdown in Style! Again, it was great learning about you and your precious grandparents! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to this being us in many years! I aspire to be that marriage that others admire. Not for selfish reasons, but so others KNOW that it can happen for them too. Thanks for sharing and linking up with Countdown in Style! Don't forget to come back on Friday to see if you were featured!

    ~~April~~
    100lbCountdown.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi April I appreciate you taking time to visit my blog. I too want my marriage to be an example to others, especially my children. Thanks for having the link up and I will continue to linkup each week. I'm looking forward to keeping in touch. ~Sherri

      Delete
  5. Hello, I found you through faithfulbloggers.com! I recently started my own Christian blog, so I'm on the hunt for other Christian blogs to follow :) I am now following yours!

    As for your question, I believe my parents are the happiest couple I know. They have their arguments, but they don't let them get in between them. They work everything out, together. They know how to pick and have fun without it coming across as hurtful. They both love God and show it. Almost 28 years together and they're still going strong!

    God Bless,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan I am glad you were able to find my blog. Thank you for reaching out to me. I know how it is to be a newbie to the blogging world. I too just recently began my blog last September. Congratulations on your blog. Please let me know your blog info so I can follow. I was also wondering if you tried connecting to some Christian bloggers networks? You can Google it. They are great ways to connect. God Bless your parents and their marriage, what a great example for you to follow. ~Sherri

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...