About Me

My photo
Welcome my name is Sherri. I am a follower of Jesus. I have been blessed to be the wife to my best friend Markiel. I am a mother to my tween son Amari and my preschool daughter Sanai. By God's grace I have found true joy in serving my family in our home. Even amongst all the everyday craziness I know this where God has called me to be. I learn something new everyday. I also recently became a part time bible teacher at my daughter's preschool. So I have the best of both worlds.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2013 Favorites

Hi, thanks for stopping by.  I know you must be new here, because I am new. Please check out 
My Story to get to know me better or subscribe here. Welcome!

The new year is here, and I am officially saying goodbye to 2013 with a recap of some of my favorite things. 

Come reminisce with me.  

Here are my top favorites of the year...

  1. Flower garden-Ever since my family moved to our new place two years ago, I was determined to start a garden in a little area in the backyard. I grew some veggies like green beans and zucchini. I am completely new to this gardening thing.  I wouldn't say that I have a green thumb or anything, but I am learning. I then decided to plant a bag of wild flower seeds in my backyard. Once they started to sprout up I felt so proud, especially since my 3 year old helped me with the whole process.  They were beautiful. All different colors and types. Every time I looked at them it was a constant reminder of God's beautiful handiwork.

      2. Colossians 3:17-And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus,    
           giving thanks through Him to God the Father.  One night my hubby and I were watching a 
           sports documentary about the life of a female basketball coach, that had been diagnosed     
           with cancer.  In the documentary they talked about her teenage son. Her son shared his 
           favorite verse, which was Colossians 3:17.  After I watched this documentary I read this verse 
           and it really  touched my heart. I realized that this was how I wanted to live my life. I know 
           that all I am is due to Jesus Christ in my life.

        
      3. Roses-When my hubby & I were dating it was kind of his tradition to give me roses for
          special occasions like Valentines Day or our anniversaries.  He knows how much I love 
          flowers so it was a very special gift.  After a few years of receiving the flowers I began to lose 
          excitement for them. I guess because I got used to them and the gift just lost that element of 
          surprise(of course I never told him that.)  Well fast forward years later and we are now 
          married, and real life takes over.  I begin to miss all those days when I received those 
          beautiful bouquets of flowers(I guess I had to learn a lesson in appreciation.) 
          One evening I was totally shocked when my hubby came home from work with a bouquet of
          roses.  They were all red, except one purple rose right in the middle, because he knows that's
          my favorite color. I was overwhelmed, and completely shocked. This time it was a gift just 
          because.


      4. Joyce Meyers conference-I am a big fan of Joyce Meyers so I was extremely motivated 
          for the opportunity to go see her live in Hershey Pennsylvania.  I worked it out that I would 
          go with my mom for a three day weekend, and it was also my birthday.  My mom is Deaf, so 
          at the conference we were able to sit in a reserved section for the Deaf, that is right up front. 
          I was even blessed with an unexpected opportunity to sign interpret part of the conference
          with the interpreter that was there.  I learned so much and gained so much information that
          I was able to bring home, and apply to my every day life.


     5. "Living Beyond Your Feelings" Joyce Meyers-This book was one of the awesome 
          resources I was gifted for sign interpreting at the conference.  To be honest I am not an avid
          reader, and it usually takes me quite a while to finish a book.  This book drew me in from the 
          very beginning. I buzzed right through it, and enjoyed everything that I got out of it.  It was 
          especially helpful for people like me, who need to learn to not react off my emotions, and 
          trust that God is in control.


     6. Service for Service Day-This was a day that my church decided to give up a normal 
         Sunday service, to go out and serve the surrounding community(read more here.)  It was 
         a great feeling to be able to take the focus off myself and my needs and put them on others 
         who have greater needs.  Plus my children were involved so it was a great opportunity for 
         them to learn a lesson in serving others.  


     7. Brown boots-I love fashion and especially being thrifty when it comes to fashion.  One of 
          favorite places to shop is the thrift store, and I just love getting a good deal. Even more, I love 
          getting clothes for free.  I always welcome hand-me-downs because another persons garbage 
          can always become my treasure.  Plus I just love the idea of getting something free and then 
          working it into my wardrobe.  Once I come up with just the right outfit, I have been known to 
          get a little excited. On Christmas I was at my sister's house and we were talking about boots. 
          My niece who is a stylish 17 year old, began to talk about a pair of  boots that she didn't want, 
          because they hurt her feet.  Well you know my ears perked up then, especially since my niece 
          and I are the exact same shoe size.  She was more than willing to give me her beautiful, 
         brown leather,  knee high boots.  They fit me perfectly and are so comfortable.  Now I 
         wear them almost every day since.   I don't even care that my hubby teased me, about the fact
         that I took the boots of my teenaged niece.  No need in wasting a good pair of boots.  I assured
         my niece that I would definitely return the favor.  
         


     8. Dylan's Candy Bar-This year my hubby and I decided that we wanted to spend more time
         in New York City, and take the kids as well, since there is so much you can do. 
         November 14th it was our 4 year anniversary(read more here.)  My hubby and I spent the 
         whole night in NYC. That was the first time we visited this wonderful candy store(aka candy 
         heaven, at least that's what I call it.) They have two floors of any candy you could think of.  
         The top floor is a little cafe with all kinds of treats, like cupcakes, doughnuts, and ice cream. 
         We enjoyed it so much.  We knew we would have to come back the next time and bring the 
          kids.  We decided to take the second trip there after Christmas, so we could have the chance
          to go to the Children's Museum, as well as see the tree at Rockefeller Center.  As soon as we 
          walked into the store our kids were in awe.  It was a great family time!

What are some of your favorites from 2013?



         
          
          

9 comments:

  1. Hey Sherri!
    My name is Mindy Larson I'm one of your SITS Challenge Tribe Members http://thismorningiwokeupdead.blogspot.com I'm loving reading your blog! I look forward to connecting with you! Hope you have a wonderful evening!
    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mindy Thank you so much for reaching out to me. I am so glad you enjoyed reading my blog. I'm excited as well to connect with you and the rest of the tribe this week. ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherri! This was a fun post. I loved that you had pictures to match! I'm from NJ and Hubs and I visit NYC fairly frequently (or we did before we had our son) and we're aware of Dylan's Candy Bar but have never been. It looks so bright and colorful! Now I want to go!

    I love that your blog is so focused on faith and family. They're beautiful things, aren't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin Thank you for comment. It's nice to meet another "Jersey Girl." I love the city, there is so much to do. I know it's definitely harder once you have kids, but there are so many fun family things to do. I am recommending Dylan's especially if you have a love of sweets like my family does. Lol! I am glad you enjoyed my blog. I would love it if you subscribed to stay updated on my new posts. I have a lot of great things planned for February. Do you have a blog? If you do please let me know your url so I can visit. ~Sherri

      Delete
  4. Hi Sherri! Stopping by to say hi via Mom Formating. Great blog, lovely pics!
    Hope to see you at my place :)
    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yonca cool name. Is that your real name? I love unique names. Thanks for stopping by. I will be visiting your blog too. I am glad we were able to connect. I would love for you to subscribe so we can stay connected, of course I will return the love by subscribing to your blog too. Have a great weekend! ~Sherri

      Delete
  5. Hi Sherri.. stopping in from Blog Formatting. I love Joyce as well, and I'm wondering where you live that the deer didn't eat up all those beautiful flowers:)?? Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Seana thanks for visiting my blog. I live in NJ. We have deer here but I live in a townhouse so I think it's a little too busy here for the deers. Although I did get a few rabbits that were nibbling at my veggies. I am glad we were able to connect. Have a great weekend! ~Sherri

      Delete
  6. Sherri those plants look so amazing, my wife and I are avid gardeners and we really thank you for sharing your knowledge with us! It really is a pleasure to see someone with so much passion as you have for the world and its vegetation. The blog is a great read please keep up all the hard work, thank you.

    Raymond Quinn @ River Oaks Plant House

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...